Monday, May 18, 2009

Red Dirt Girl

Worked at Fey Concerts for a bit. Spent many nights here. Best...Summer...Job...Ever. I saw so many great live acts during that period, at so many venues. Fiddler’s Green, Odgen Theatre, Bluebird Theatre, Macky Auditorium, Paramount Theatre and so on. However, nothing beats Red Rocks for live music. I still go to a few shows here every summer. My favorite show last year was Emmylou Harris. Jake is sitting in the exact same seat I had at that show. Yep, I’m one of those obsessive types that saves every ticket stub. Emmylou’s cover versions are always better than the originals but I’m partial to her own material. This is at the top of my list. She played it at that show. Although I must admit…I’m a sucker for any song that mentions a dog in the first line.

Me and my best friend Lillian and her blue tick hound dog Gideon,
Sittin on the front porch cooling in the shade
Singin every song the radio played
Waitin for the Alabama sun to go down
Two red dirt girls in a red dirt town
Me and Lillian
Just across the line and a little southeast of Meridian.

“Red Dirt Girl” by Emmylou Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment